I’m looking for a position in: Accounting | Advertising | Art | Circulation | Custom Media | Editorial | Events and Marketing | Production | Web
Integrated Account Executive
Washingtonian magazine, the area’s award winning monthly lifestyle publication, is looking for a full time salesperson to join its team. Responsibilities include selling our print publications, digital products and event sponsorships. Candidate must have proven sales experience, excellent communication skills, and be a self-starter. The ideal candidate will be highly organized and able to thrive in a high volume, fast-paced and team-oriented environment. Knowledge of the local DC, Maryland, & Virginia market a plus. Compensation package will be commensurate with experience. Email cover letter (including compensation requirements) and resume to email@example.com
- Meet and exceed sales goals monthly sales goals.
- Create and sell integrated media programs utilizing all platforms.
- Cold call & prospect for new customers-sales development of territory is critical.
- Identify the key advertising placement decision makers and initiate and pursue productive, consultative relationships.
- Build upon and service existing advertisers in your assigned territory.
- Develop and prepare sales proposals and custom marketing presentations for advertising clients.
- Attend networking, community, and client events providing a strong representation of the Washingtonian brand.
- Respond proactively to client requests for proposals, advertising information and materials.
- Analyze competitive set and develop formal “account plans” for top 25 prospects in territory.
- Execute and communicate weekly sales recaps to management.
- 3-5 years of print, digital, event sponsorship, and social media sales experience.
- Ability to work with and effectively communicate to a full range of clients – from small, local businesses to corporate accounts and advertising agencies.
- Experience using a sales CRM.
- Cold calling and negotiation skills.
- High competency in MS office, particularly PowerPoint & Excel.
- Ability to deliver strong presentations to a large group.
Deputy Art Director, Washingtonian
Washingtonian is seeking an imaginative, collaborative, and relentlessly ambitious deputy art director for its award winning creative department. For 50 plus years, the award-winning city magazine for the Washington DC area has been a home for groundbreaking feature writing, essential service journalism, and arresting visual storytelling. Under the guidance of the Creative Director we’re looking for someone who can help us take the magazine to the next level, creating in a high-caliber team of designers, photo editors, staff photographers and editors.
• Responsible for our Front of Book and Back of Book sections as well as contributing to the Feature section
• Lead design for special issues including Washingtonian Weddings and Washingtonian Welcome Guide
• Creating layout options to inform final design of layouts for the issue
• Pitching and inspiring the creative team with new illustration, photographic, typography, social media ideas
• Collaborating with design, photo, edit and digital teams
• Manage and maintain creative intern position
• 10% other responsibilities coming up throughout the cycle of an issue
• 4+ years of professional experience in editorial design
• Strong multitasking + organizational skills+ communication skills
• Knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, InCopy and InDesign
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
• A love and passion for editorial design, photography, illustration, and typography
About Our Company:
Washingtonian is the monthly magazine of the nation’s capital. It ranks highly in market penetration among all city and regional magazines, with a paid circulation of 130,000+. Washingtonian is one of the nation’s most respected and successful magazines, winning five National Magazine Awards, as well as SPD and CRMA awards.
Please send your cover letter, résumé, salary requirements, and samples (no larger than 10MB) or a link to your online portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with Deputy Art Director in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Art Department Intern
Washingtonian is looking for a motivated Art Department intern for the summer semester. This intern will gain real-world experience working with the magazine’s creative team and will learn the ins and outs of producing a publication.
• Experience working with Adobe Suite, specifically InDesign and Photoshop.
• Intern must have or be working towards a degree in Graphic Design, Photography, or Illustration.
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
• Strong multitasking and organizational skills.
• A keen eye for detail.
• Manage special projects as needed.
To apply: Email a cover letter, résumé, and portfolio/website to designjobs@washingtonian.
Application deadline is rolling.
Web Producer and Social Media Fellowship
Do you enjoy making online stories more visually compelling? Are you a self-starter interested in working on web projects with a close-knit team?
Washingtonian is looking for a motivated web fellow to help with putting our print magazine online in new and creative ways. Your primary role will be in producing Washingtonian’s print magazine on our website, including features and packages. You will also help run Washingtonian’s social media accounts and work on ways to improve our presence and increase our following. Other duties involve creating more visual content (like maps, brackets or other online tools) and building newsletters. There are also opportunities to pitch and write stories.
If this sounds like a fit, we offer an experience that’s low on grunt work and high on opportunity. Graduates of Washingtonian’s fellowship program have gone on to publications such as Vanity Fair, Sports Illustrated, Entertainment Weekly, National Geographic, Allure, Smithsonian, and USA Today (and have landed full-time jobs at Washingtonian). You are also given opportunities to meet and chat with Washingtonian editors, writers, and other staffers about their careers and your own role and development in media.
This one-term fellowship position is 40 hours a week for four months in the fall, five months in the spring, and three months in the summer. The pay is $15.00 per hour. The position reports to Web Producer/Writer Rosa Cartagena.
- Experience working with a CMS (WordPress preferred)
- Photoshop experience, specifically in photo editing
- Social media savvy, including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Previous media/journalism experience
- Familiarity with ActiveCampaign or other email services
- Basic HTML or CSS experience
To apply: Please send your resumé, cover letter, and three samples of your work (such as web design or writing) to email@example.com.
Washingtonian Custom Media
Fact-Checking and Data Entry Intern
Are you a college student/recent grad looking for hands-on experience in publishing, sales, and communication? Are you obsessed with accuracy and have a close eye for detail? Do you prefer picking up the phone to texting and emailing?
You’ve come to the right place. Washingtonian Custom Media—a division of Washingtonian Media Inc. – is looking for interns to help with fact checking, data entry, subscription renewals, and research on a special custom publishing project. You will work directly with communications, marketing, and media specialists to learn the ins and outs of the DC-area publishing industry.
- Fact-checking directory listings
- Managing editorial data through Microsoft Access
- Proofreading content for accuracy and consistency
- Renewing directory subscriptions
- Assisting custom media team with communications research and development
- Currently enrolled or recently graduated college
- Experience in sales strongly preferred but not required
- Experience in Access preferred but not required
This position is part time. Internship is paid at a competitive hourly rate. Internship will last through Spring of 2021.
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify in the subject line: WCM Fact-checking and Data Entry Internship.
Application deadline is rolling. Seeking candidates to start February 2021.
- Pitch and write articles for the magazine and website.
- Fact check special projects.
- Assist editors in research assignments.
- Available to work full time Monday through Friday
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Strong multitasking and organizational skills.
You are not required to live in Washington DC during the period when our office is closed due to pandemic. Familiarity with Washington is a plus.